Sunday, 26th October 2014
12pm (London, UK – GMT)
7pm (Cambodia – GMT+7)
8pm (Philippines & Singapore – GMT+8)
Online: Google Hangout
Offline: Independent Archive & Resource Centre (67 Aliwal Street, Singapore)
Online and Local, Worldwide: Discussion art, digital platforms, and Southeast Asia
An online presentation & discussion, featuring:
- Roger Nelson: curator, Online and Local, Worldwide: Five Websites From and For Southeast Asia
- Sidd Perez: PlantingRice.com
- Pen Sereypangna: Phnom Penh Visions
- Pip Kelly: curator, Jorng Jam
- Melanie Chua, Alecia Neo & Nasri Shah: Brack
The discussion explores key questions in Roger Nelson’s Online and Local, Worldwide project in relation to the websites featured in the latter, as well as the projects presented by the discussants.
How problematic is it to frame contemporary art and related practices from Southeast Asia in regional terms, insofar as these projects are concerned? How do digital platforms enforce or diminish the varying boundaries of contexts – the local, the regional, and the global – and the distance(s) between them?